Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Left Over Lunch

Another successful lunch in the bag, pun intended! ☺  I understand that most kids are more picky than Molly, but hopefully this will still generate some ideas.

I had to make a quick dinner tonight before my kickboxing class and to my delight it was a huge hit.  So much so that Molly requested the left overs for lunch tomorrow.


Tomorrow's lunch consists of left over home made chicken nuggets.  They are small pieces of chicken breast dipped in whole wheat flour and spices (plus about a teaspoon of sugar, that's the secret), dipped in egg and then coated with Japanese style Panko breadcrumbs and baked.  It is being served with sweet chili sauce from Trader Joe's for dipping.

Next we have some chopped up fresh veggies.  Zucchini sticks, red pepper and baby carrots that are sliced in quarters because sometimes they are hard to chomp down on.  Mom went a little nuts when chopping the veggies so I told Molly that she didn't have to finish all of them.

In the top right corner is quinoa, which has been pretty popular in the new nutritious food category.  Its like a cross between couscous and almost a grain version of caviar and has a little bit of a nutty flavor.  Plus its, as my husband calls it, the SUPER grain.  We put a little bit of chili dressing on it to keep it moist and we're calling it a "not so pasta" salad.

Finally we have a few slices of apple dipped in orange juice so that they don't brown.  This is accompanied by a few Ginger Cat Cookies from Trader Joe's, not to be confused with ThunderCats, the cartoon from years ago.  ThunderCats Ho!  Sorry for the tangent, just getting in touch with my inner child.  ☺  The cookies are in a heart shaped silicone cupcake liner.  They are great for keeping things separated and are also flexible so they will fit in just about any plastic container.

She'll have her normal cold bottle of water to go with it because it gets pretty warm in her school since they have no air conditioning.

On a side note, a lot of the products in this meal were purchased at Trader Joe's.  The panko breadcrumbs, the sweet chili sauce, the quinoa and the ginger cats all are Trader Joe's brand.   I highly recommend ANYTHING and EVERYTHING from there.  I ♥ Trader Joe's.


3 comments:

  1. Didn't know you had a blog until just right now!!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!!!! I hope you will post all your wonderfully awesome ideas!!!! Just looking at that makes me want to eat more healthy. I've always loved (but have a hard time executing) the idea of a little of this, a little of that, etc. Thank you for the inspiration! Keep it coming!!! Please?! Lisa K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, ok...so... Those little Ginger Cat cookies are about the cutest cookies EVER! Too bad we don't have Trader Joe's here. I always hear such wonderful things about the store! Looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! It is great that Molly will eat all of that. I don't remember how you were as a child - we never ate together, haha - but man, my Mother still won't eat any of that and I had my first chinese food when I was about 23! Yay Molly!

    ReplyDelete